Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I have never really enjoyed cooking. There are times when I am in the mood to cook something, but I usually prefer to cook or make meals that are real simple. Thank goodness I have a family that is not too demanding about having to have large meals.

When our daughter Kaily lived here in Egypt with us, I always told her she had her choice of cooking or of doing the clean-up afterwards, and she always chose the cooking. That was great for me, because I would rather do dishes than cook most of the time. But now that our daughter is in the States attending university, I don't have that option.

I do have to say though, that my husband Tim is wonderful in the kitchen. He helps out a lot with the cooking and he is very talented at it. In fact, just last night he helped me make this "Sweet and Sour Chicken" that you see pictured above.

This dish has been a family favorite for many years. Several years ago, I used to make this every Friday night, but eventually we tired of having it once a week, and now it is made just every once in a while. I can't believe we made it last night because the temperature here right now is very hot, and usually we don't cook much while it is so hot. But, we had chicken in the freezer that had to be used before we leave next week to go to the States, so we decided to make it because we hadn't had it for a long time.

Here's the recipe:

Combine in a bowl for marinade:
1 egg beaten 1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar 1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Add 1 lb. chicken to marinade and let stand for 20-30 minutes.

Prepare and set aside:
1 cl. garlic minced 1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, cut in wedges 3/4 cup pineapple chunks, drained
(reserve the juice)

Combine and set aside:
3 Tbsp. vinegar 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. brown sugar 3/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce

Heat 4 Tbsp. oil in a pan. Add chicken and cook till done. In another pan, stir-fry garlic, peppers, and onions 2-3 minutes. Add pineapple chunks and sauce mixture. Cook just until sauce thickens and clears. Add chicken to sauce and veggies, and heat until bubbling. Best if served immediately with hot rice.
(Onions and Peppers should be partially crisp.)

I usually have to double or triple the ingredients, and you do not have to be precise on the measurements of the veggies. We like to put more onions, peppers, and pineapples than is called for. Also, last night I added carrots because Levi does not like onions or peppers, and this added a veggie he does like. I have to say though, I did not care for the carrots in this dish.

I hope, if someone out there decides to make this dish, you will think of us and also, let me know how you like it.

6 comments:

  1. That chicken dish looks yummy! I wanted to wish your DH a happy Father's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dedene! I actually made a lot of it, so we are going to have it for leftovers for the next couple of days. But that's good, because it is way too hot to be cookin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pop over and read all the time, I haven't been up to snuff here lately. I'm trying to climb out of the last two years of my life "with mother". This third round of medication seems to be helping.

    But I'm always here oogling your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @eloh, sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Good to hear from you though, and I'll be praying for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glennis, hi, and thanks for reading. Yes, this dish is easy and delicious. I probably wouldn't make it if it weren't easy. Like I said in my post, I don't really like to cook. Wish I did though. :o)

    ReplyDelete