Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Egypt: The Mother of the World


Egypt is a fascinating place to live. There is so much history here that one could literally spend

months here and never run out of historic sites to see.


Egyptians take pride in their rich heritage and in their descent from what is considered the first great civilization. They often refer to Egypt as "Um Idonea", or in English, "The Mother of the World". Of course one of the first things people think of when they think of Egypt are the pyramids. I consider myself very blessed to have seen the pyramids several times, but no matter how many times I see them, I am always very intrigued. It is kind of funny to think about telling my kids we were going to take someone who was visiting to see the pyramids and remembering their response. "Not again"! I don't really think they will appreciate the experience until many years in the future, but then again, growing up in Egypt, the Pyramids were just a normal part of life here, not just something they read about and only dreamed about seeing.


Egypt is Africa's second most populous country after Nigeria, and it has the highest population in the Arab world. About 95 percent of Egyptians live along the Nile—on less than 5 percent of Egypt's territory. The Nile Valley is one of the world's most densely populated areas, containing an average of 1,540 persons per square kilometer (3,820 per square mile). Most Egyptians are Muslim Arabs, but there is a sizeable Coptic Christian population of seven million. The total population is a little over 74,000,000.


Hope you enjoyed these facts about Egypt. There are so many more, but I can't give them all away in only one blog. You'll have to keep dropping by to hear more.

2 comments:

  1. Jackie, That's very interesting. Um Idonea is beautiful.

    I've tagged you, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dedene, yes, Um actually means Mom, and sometimes when you ask a woman her name she will say "Um Mohammad", Mohammad being her oldest son. So, I might say my name is "Um Dillon". That is more common in the villages though.

    I guess I don't mind being tagged. I really don't know what that means. :o)

    ReplyDelete