Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another Win For Egypt

The team celebrates immediately after their win.

This is what the majority of the streets look like after a win like this.

Yesterday evening, January 31, 2010, Egypt won the African Cup for the 3rd time in a row. They did this by beating Ghana 1-0.

Earlier in the year, Egypt was ousted out of World Cup competition by their fierce rival Algeria. If you heard anything about the matches between these two countries, then you know the confrontations were anything but pleasant. There were reports from both sides about violence that caused several injuries. But, after all was said and done, Algeria beat Egypt, and sadly, Egypt was out of the World Cup.

Well, just a little less than a week ago, these two teams met again in Angola, this time battling it out for the African Cup. This time, Egypt beat Algeria and beat them good. It was a 4-0 victory. I believe it was a victory that felt good to the Egyptian team and fans. There was partying and celebrating in the streets. You would have thought it was for the African Cup, but, they had one more team to face, and that match was last night.

I didn't get a chance to actually watch the game, but my husband was watching it and kept me informed the whole time. They were well into the match, I think around 80 minutes into it, and my husband informed me it was still 0-0. Then, all of a sudden we heard our normally quiet neighborhood erupt into cheering along with fireworks, horns, etc. Before my husband could say anything, I knew Egypt had scored. They managed to hold off Ghana to the end for their 3rd African Cup Championship in a row, which by the way is a world record.

Mabrouk ya Masr! Which in Arabic means "Congratulations Egypt"

No comments:

Post a Comment